Registed Dental Hygienist (RDH)
East Valley Community Health Center has an exciting and rewarding opportunity for a part-time position openings for Registered Dental Hygienist at our West Covina Health Center.This position will be part-time (24-32 hours/workweek). Bilingual In Spanish and English desired but not required.
Under general supervision of the Dental Director, the Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) provides a range of clinical, administrative, and staff support to a full-range dental services operation, including out in community locations.The RDH provides diagnostic, preventive, periodontal, restorative, and early intervention treatment; assists in the performance of dental procedures; prepares and maintains dental equipment and supplies in accordance with established protocol and procedures, policies, standards, and assists in the coordination of day-to-day patient administration, records management, and office support activities. In telehealth-connected teams where the dentist is in a dental clinic and the Registered Dental Hygienist is in a community setting, the RDH leads onsite patient care. In these settings, he RDH collaborates with participating dentists to provide diagnostic, preventive, periodontal, and early intervention treatment in the community and supports referral and follow-up activities.
Major Position Responsibilities and Functions:
- Develop relationships with educational, social, and general health systems such as Head Start preschools, schools, long term care facilities and the like.
- Collaborate with community site staff and a Dental Assistant/Navigator to obtain patient consent, make arrangements to provide services on-site and provide those services through a collaborative oral health system.
- Participate in initial and on-going training with the University of the Pacific to learn how to use the software, equipment, and the project collaboration system.
- Collect electronic dental records, including digital radiographs, photographs, and charting of dental findings.
- Collaborate with dentist who will determine a plan for dental care for each patient in the program.
- Carry out those aspects of the plan that can be performed in the community setting, including:
- Health promotion and prevention education for patients, children, parents, teachers, and caregivers
- Dental disease risk assessments for children under the age of 10.
- Preventive procedures such as application of fluoride varnish and other “medical model” prevention activities, dental prophylaxis, and periodontal scaling.
- Placing Interim Therapeutic Restorations.
- Tracking the individual’s need for and compliance with recommendations for additional and follow-up dental services.
- Oversee the Dental Assistant/Navigator and others collaborating with site staff to refer and facilitate appointments in dental office for those procedures that cannot be completed in the community setting and require the skills of a dentist.
- Supervise the Dental Assistant/Navigator in maintaining portable equipment and complying OSHA and infection control standards.
- Work with site staff and patients to schedule, identify, and obtain consent for patients who may be candidates for Virtual Dental Home project.
- Integrate support and education strategies to improve the oral health of patients and knowledge of prevention practices of patients, families, and caregivers.
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Patient screening procedures; such as assessment of oral health conditions, review of the health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting and taking blood pressure and pulse.
- Provide diagnostic, preventive, periodontal, restorative, and early intervention treatments allowable under RDH license as specified by the Dental Board of California.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and other staff events.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Participates in other activities as required by the Dental Director.
- Provides leadership as a dental professional in a community setting.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Current California dental hygienist license.
- Current CPR certified.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish desired but not required.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrates effective communication and problem solving skills.
- Available to work in a fast paced environment and maintain profession composure and demeanor.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to complete work assigned with limited supervision.
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheet programs.
Working Conditions/Physical/Mental Abilities and Processes :
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Work requires periods of standing, sitting, lifting, turning, twisting, walking, pushing, pulling, reaching, speaking, hearing, seeing and ability to articulate clearly, use of hands to finger, reaching with hands and arms.
- Frequent use of hands and fingers to operate a keyboard, mouse, and telephone.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include, vision to drive, vision to walk, close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Position requires driving to and from community partner sites.
- Position requires lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to stand, sit, stoop, kneel, and bend in order to speak to patients.
- Ability to write notes, treatment plan comments, track records and reports.
- Ability to work productively in a small office space used by multiple employees.
- Ability to respond appropriately to staff and patients with regard to their medical needs; must communicate patient complaints to providers and issue final instruction and patient education as directed by the medical provider.
*Disclaimer: This position description indicates in general terms the type and level of work performed and responsibilities held by the employee(s) occupying this position. Duties described are not to be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
East Valley offers competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that will enrich your Personal, Financial, Career, Health, and Community Well-being. Our benefits package offered to eligible employees include medical, vision, dental, life insurance, 403b plan, and paid time off (holiday, birthday, vacation, and sick leave)
How to Apply:
Please send an updated resume with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recruiters, please do not contact this job posting.
EOE is the Law. It is the stated policy of EVCHC to conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.