Go Further with Food: Fortify Your Immunity
August 10, 2020
As part of #agriculturalhealthday, East Valley Community Health Center is sharing some of our favorite COVID-19 Immune System Boosters. Eating foods rich in these different vitamins will help enhance your immune system and aid in immunity as the body's first line of defense. Yum!
Flu and Cold season are quickly approaching and we're sharing a fan favorite recipe rich in antioxidants and immune-boosting vitamins. Make this delicious lentil soup to boost your system. It's a healthy treat that your body will love.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large sweet potato, (about 1/2 lb) diced into ½” cubes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup red lentils, uncooked and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup kale, destemmed and torn into 1” pieces
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the turmeric and paprika and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lemon juice, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, red lentils, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add kale and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the kale has softened and wilted slightly.
- Season with salt to taste.